Hi folks that I visited at St. Joes on Wednesday! (11/2/2011)
Just wanted to say that you all were so lovely and I am so thankful to have been a guest in your classroom. Thank you for letting me share my experience with you and for listening so compassionately and intently. You’re the best! If you ever need to email me, please do so! rdrew.philly [at] yahoo [dot] com.
Please remember! Everyone who is trans walks a different path. There are so many expressions of gender across the board other than just male or female. Don’t assume someone identifies a certain way and challenge yourself to use gender neutral language.
Here is a quote you may like to keep in mind: “I know a space is safe when beauty in all forms is protected.” -Anonymous
Here are some things extra that you can do that we didn’t talk about in class:
- Be kind and courteous and don’t assume or judge
- Don’t fall for the gender trap! You can be whatever kind of man, woman, or in between human being you want. Sing, skip, wrestle, and enjoy whatever makes you happy and have the courage to not fear of judgment from others.
- Turn off Facebook and spend that precious time educating yourself via blogs, websites, etc. Do a google search and see what happens!
- Explore your own privilege
- Start a conversation, be an ally!
- Call out a homo/transphobic friend, family or community member
- Suggest LGBT-friendly changes in policy and physical space in your communities
- Use your faith to further your understanding of diversity and tolerance, and be an example for others
Thanks ya’ll! See ya next time! Visit my other sites if you want. Chest surgery fundraiser: 7000peopleproject.org and my professional site raeray73.wordpress.com